In our lab, the Android emulator is Android Virtual Devices (AVDs) which based on Android Software Development Kit (Android SDK) and Eclipse IDE. The brief steps will be described in the following (For more detail, check the reference in the end of this instruction or google online). your computer is already installed eclipse, you could skip this part directly.
- Download the Android Software Development Kit (SDK)
The SDK starter package is not a completed development environment which just included the core SDK tools. download the latest version of SDK starter.
- Download Eclipse IDE for Java Developers
This link is the Eclipse downloads. Fine the Eclipse IDE for Java Developers. Noted: the correct version for your operating system should be guaranteed. After your Eclipse IDE download is complete, unzip and move to a permanent folder
- Install the Android Development Tools (ADT) plugin
Open Eclipse to install the Android Development Tools (ADT) by using Eclipse’s built-in plug-in system. Here are the basic steps.
- Choose “Help” > “Install New Software….”
- Click the “Add…” button and create a new entry:
- Name: “Android ADT” (this space is for your own personal use, so name it whatever you want)
- Location: “https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/” (try just http:// if the https:// does not work)
- Check all the boxes to install all the tools
- Just keep clicking “I agree”, “Next”, “Yes”, etc. until it asks you to restart
- Go ahead and restart Eclipse when prompted to
- Install Android SDK Components
Download the Software Development Kits(SDKs). This step could be done by Eclipse IDE and the Android ADT. Here are the basic steps.
- Open Eclipse, click “Window” > “Android SDK and AVD Manager”
- In “Available packages”, select the platforms you want to support. You can either choose all, or pick-and-choose what you want to develop for.
- In the “Third party Add-ons”, decide what you are interested in. The Google APIs must be installed.
- Choose “Install Selected”, then the “Accept All” radio button, then “Install”.
- E) Setup proxy in the Mobile networks setting. (If the UMD-Wireless or UMD-Secure cannot work, please do this experiment in the other Wi-Fi environment.)
1) Create New AVD, select Window > AVD Manager > New. The new Android Virtual Device should set the Android Virtual Device (AVD) as showed below. (Noted: the AVD showed just for reference, you could create different as long as the experiment could be run.)
Example AVD setting
2) Then launch the ADV, the interface shows as below:
3) Choose the setting icon. And chose the More…
Android Setting Page
4) Then choose the Mobile networks.
5) Choose the Access Point Names
6) Then change the item T-Mobile US
Change the proxy to the proxy server’s IP address and change the port number to 8080.
- F) Install android application on the emulator.
you can read more about 3dse Bios | Andro support here.
1) put the .apk files in the platform-tools folder. (the default path: C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools) and for example, named .apk file is game.apk
2) Intall the application.
open the cmd windows, enter the command：
cd C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
after enter the folder, then enter the command:
adb install game.apk
3) open the emulator, the installed application will be showed on the interface.
3.3 Testing procedure
3.3.1 Download apps from Google Play
You should choose the apps which come with potential risks, such as those which have a login page for username and password.
The following are some example categories that could be used in this project (you are allowed to choose a different category other than the list below). Please select two categories and test the top 50~100 apps in each category.
- TRAVEL AND LOCAL
3.3.2 Test the app with malicious proxy
After your devices connected to the malicious proxy. You can monitor all traffics transmitted between your phone and the proxy.
- Perform “login in” in your app.
- If the app is secure, if you use ProxyDroid, you will be given a connection error message. If you set up your proxy in the Advanced WiFi Settings, your app will skip the proxy and connect to the legitimate server without use of the proxy server. In both cases, you wouldn’t find a request with username and password form the monitor.
- If the app is insecure, you would find your username and password from the monitor.
You can also install packet sniffer software such as wireshark to monitor the traffic.